Home Top Stories 8 Washington

8 Washington

Guardian Voices: There’s something happening here

July 20, 2012
There are distinct signs of the rebirth of a grassroots  balanced-growth  movement in San Francisco, and some small indication that it’s even beginning to...

Developer hires crew to block signature gathering

July 16, 2012
The developer of 8 Washington has taken an unusual if not unprecedented step to prevent a referendum on his waterfront condo project from succeeding:...

Gonzalez withdraws his endorsement of Olague

Matt Gonzalez – the attorney and former president of the Board of Supervisors whose 2003 run for mayor galvanized the city's progressive movement –...

Olague’s antics on RCV alarm her progressive supporters

As Sup. Christina Olague was being appointed to the District 5 seat on the Board of Supervisors by Mayor Ed Lee in January, we...

We can stop 8 Washington

July 11, 2012
There's a week left to stop the sale of San Francisco's waterfront to the 1 percent.The Board of Supervisors approved the 8 Washington project,...

Davis launches D5 campaign with fortuitous timing

When progressive activist Julian Davis formally launched his District 5 supervisorial campaign late last week with a well-attended kickoff party at the Peacock Lounge...

Brown, Pak, and Olague

July 3, 2012
Christina Olague was a great planning commissioner. I've always liked her, and when she was appointed we pointed out how strongly she was rooted...

Guardian voices: The labor agreement that changed SF

June 29, 2012
This year marks the 53rd anniversary of the beginnings of  negotiations between the International Longshoreman’s and Warehouseman’s Union and the Pacific Maritime Association over...

Thick petition against a big project

June 25, 2012
My old friend Sue Hestor stopped by my house June 24 to ask if any of my neighbors might want to sign the referendum...

Putting 8 Washington on the ballot

June 22, 2012
The fall ballot's going to be crowded -- and one of the issues that may face a vote is the future of the 8...

Gosh, we need more condos for millionaires

June 21, 2012
I guess it's really, really important for San Francisco to build more housing for the very rich because there's just such a profound need...

Avalos emerges as the board’s main progressive champion

Sup. John Avalos seems to be the only consistent champion of progressive values at the Board of Supervisors these days, as he demonstrated once...

The 8 Washington embarrassment

June 14, 2012
I wasn’t shocked by the vote on 8 Washington. I knew it was happening; I knew we’d lost when the EIR went through. I...

Why I hope Sup. Farrell is wrong about condos

June 11, 2012
So Sup. Mark Farrell thinks the Board of Supervisors is ready to turn its back on the tenants movement and vote for legislation that...

8 Washington isn’t getting much better

June 7, 2012
When the Board of Supervisors approved the environmental impact report for the most expensive condos in San Francisco history, several members of the board...

The battle of 8 Washington

Condos for millionaires approved with progressives split

Lee shows his pro-biz chops, but how is his balance?

Mayor Ed Lee is on the roll these days, with a string of recent pro-business successes capped off by today's announcement that the Golden...

Housing for the super rich approved, 8-3

May 16, 2012
The progressive movement and the battle for housing balance and economic justice in San Francisco got walloped May 15 when eight supervisors sided with...

Why the May 15 vote on 8 Washington matters

May 14, 2012
Brad Benson, the special projects director at the Port of San Francisco, took me on a tour of the 8 Washington project and gave...

What the preservation vote says about the 2012 supervisors

May 10, 2012
UPDATE: Important update at the end of this storyWhat does it mean that a historic preservation law favored by developers and promoted by Sup....

Housing for the rich moves forward — fast

A proposal to build the most expensive condos in San Francisco history will come before the Board of Supervisors May 15 -- and then...

Wiener goes after historic preservation

Sup. Scott Wiener is pushing a bill that would make it more difficult to create historic districts in San Francisco, and it’s already cleared...

The two defining votes of 2012

April 27, 2012
The Board of Supervisors will be facing two votes in the next couple of months that will define this board, establish the extent of...

The case for a study of the economic impact of market rate housing

March 9, 2012
"SF's rush toward the ultimate highrise" read the headline on the Guardian front page of Sept. 27, 1971. The headline and the graphics by...